For Parents …
We’re so excited to have you visit Back Home on the Farm with you child on their field trip. Here are a few helpful hints to make the day go more smoothly.
- Back Home on the Farm is located at 2915 Willow Run Rd. Rockingham, Va. It comes up on map quest and google.
- Prefer specific directions? We are located just off Rt. 42 NORTH of Harrisonburg city limits. Coming from Harrisonburg you’ll pass VMRC and Harmony Square Shopping center on your left. Willow Run turns off to the left as Rt. 42 makes a curve to head north to Broadway. If you’re coming from the north….. Take the first right immediately after you see Dan’s Body Shop sign.
- Arrive on time or 15 minutes early. Schools are divided by classes and are sent to different areas of the farm. Your tardiness can delay the field trip for the school or cause you to miss some of the activities with your child.
- Dress in layers. In the spring, greenhouses are quite warm yet outside activites may require a jacket Fall at the farm can be quite chilly in the morning and then warm up by mid day.
- Feel free to bring lunch with you. We have a limited menu on the grounds and you may make your selections at the country store when the children have lunch.
- No more than one parent per child and please leave siblings home. It is impossible for you to enjoy this special time with your child if you have to keep up with younger children and it can be disruptive to the learning experiences we offer.
- We support whatever rules or restrictions visiting schools place on school field trips. When in doubt, please ask your child’s teacher.
- Please don’t try to pay us when you arrive. Those arrangements must be made by the school as we only accept one check or sum of money from the school.
- We are not open to the general public during the weekday mornings when schools are attending. We turn everyone away who isn’t approved by the teachers until 3 p.m. during weekdays.
- Our Country store is open during field trip mornings and children often bring money with them to purchase small items. Purchases are made during the free time AFTER the learning labs.
- In the fall, a free pumpkin are given only to the students (they pick them in the patch). Chaperones are welcome to purchase additional pumpkins at the country store.
- We respectfully ask that you restrict the use of your cell phones. Conversations are distracting to the group and it’s impossible for you to chaperone your charges and check your phone. Feel free to take as many pictures to record this time you are are sharing with your child and if you desire, use the hashtag #backhomeonthefarm when posting (we often give prizes for these posts!)