Summer Field Trips
Summer field trips are all about enjoying the farm and all it’s activities. Our staff will be glad to provide educational time specific to your age group – just ask in the comments of your reservation form! Our country store is open during the summer for snacks, drinks, and purchases, but groups visiting are encouraged to bring extra water for students. Field trips are scheduled Wednesday through Fridays. See also: Spring Field Trips and Fall Field Trips.
Your Field Trip includes:
Depending on the age of your students, we offer farm learning labs on the following subjects (Teachers, choose four from this list!)
- Planting seeds for Mr. McGregor’s Garden (students take this home)
- Transplanting baby plants
- Learning how Farmer Gary takes care of the farm animals
- All about earthworms!
- Making more plants: Dividing and taking cuttings
- Pizza gardening!
- Web of Life (not recommended for pre-school or kindergarten)
Also included on all field trips is a ride on our historic Virginia Carousel. The class will choose plants to take back to school for a school garden or other projects. Students will have free time to play as schedule allows. Our Barnyard play area will be available (see attractions), plus the Underground Slide, farm animals, and more. Please note that not all of the farm activities are available all seasons.
Hours + Dates
Starting June 10: Tuesday through Friday 9am-5pm
Field Trip Fees
Students $5 each. Teachers and Chaperones are free (spring and summer only)
*We recommend a minimum of one chaperone per 3-4 students and a maximum of one chaperone to one student. Please don’t bring siblings.
Attention: Parents and Teachers!
- Learning stations of spring field trips are very hands on and we can only handle 4-5 classes at a time, so field trip days fill quickly. Make your reservations early!
- All stations are designed to meet the Standard of Learning of the students visiting, and don’t be afraid to ask us if you want specific topics covered or reviewed with your students.
- Just for Parents: We have a special page of information for parents of students who are attending seasonal field trips at Back Home-on the Farm.
- Teacher Instructions: Detailed information on how to plan your field trips is available.