Book Fall Field Trips: Dates Here
Scheduled Weekdays 9am-2pm
Field trip dates: September 12 – October 31, 2017
Fall is a beautiful time on the farm! When the temperature dips and leaves began to turn colors, the fall harvest season begins. It’s time for the cornfield maze, the pumpkins patch and more.
While our focus is preschool to first grade, we can host learning adventures for any classroom level. Possibilities include:
- Custom presentations to older grades on mapping skills
- Agritourism presentation to FFA classes
- College classes on elementary education, foreign delegations
- Just let us know what your needs are and we’ll be glad to work you into the calendar
Fall Field Trip Fees:
Students $5 — Chaperones $5 — Teachers and aides are free
We recommend at least one chaperone per 3-4 students and no more than 1 chaperone per student. Please, siblings not allowed!
AMAZEing fall field trip options!
Depending on the age of your students, we offer farm learning labs on the following subjects
- Honey bees
- Pig races (as time allows)
- All about pumpkins
- Have you had your corn today?
- Farm animal care
- Ride on our historic Virginia Carousel
- Ride to the pumpkin patch for students to pick a pumpkin to take home
- Free time to plan on slide and barnyard area.
- Corn maze – optional (older students only)
Each student will receive one pumpkin to take home. Pumpkins are not included in the admission price for chaperones. Chaperones may purchase pumpkins at the general store.
Our expanded learning labs are all under cover in our greenhouse on the farm. This area is for kindergarten and older students who visit. We have an ag mazing barn and two very short learning labs about pumpkins and animals for preschool and day care groups.
Lunch and free time
Students will have free time to play as schedule allows. We recommend Our Barnyard play area will be available (see attractions). We recommend 3 hours for field trips, including time for lunch, snacks and free time. You may bring picnic lunches to enjoy at the farm. If your plans require less time at the farm, we’ll adjust your itinerary to include what is most important for your SOLs.
At Back Home on the Farm, we’re very much aware of the need to include SOLs as part of our experience. If you have specific areas you want to make sure are addressed, please let us know in the comment section when you make your reservation.
An aMAZEing fall field trip option!
The cornfield maze is an optional activity on the farm for field trips. Conquering the maze can take from 20 minutes to an hour. We usually open the maze for classes who wish to participate after lunch. Under NO circumstances should anyone enter the maze without staff present.
- Preschoolers are encouraged to schedule earlier in the season (September through the first week in October) when the weather is warmer.
- Some attractions and activities that are offered on weekends may not be open or available on weekdays.
- Just for Parents: We have a special page of information for parents of students who are attending seasonal field trips at Back Home-on the Farm.
- Teacher Instructions: Detailed information on how to plan your field trips is available.